Tuesday, December 14, 2010

all roads lead to Harry Potter

Not content with inspiring a 6 billion dollar (and counting) movie franchise, a band called Harry and the Potters ('We sing songs about books!'), and knitwear, J K Rowling has given the geocaching community the term muggle . Although I hadn't done any 'official' geocaching, I wouldn't say I was a muggle, as I was aware of geocaching as an internet phenomenon, and I have previously set-up GPS courses for others. Easter last year I organised an actual Easter egg hunt using GPSs . Participants had to correctly answer a question related to what they found at each waypoint, which lead them to the final location, which had the actual cache - the easter eggs.

Looking at the  Geocaching Australia website, I found that there is only one geocache in the suburb of Mt Lawley.  Moving on, I was intrigued by the GeGnome Project. It appears that Gnome Chomsky  is currently hiding in  the City of Swan. Hopefully one of the City of Swan library staff finds Gnome Chomsky and relocates him to one of the City of Swan Libraries.

Getting the library involved in geocaching could be part of a larger whole of council initiative. Hiding caches at significant local sites, including some of the libraries would be an interesting experiment.  It could have been a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary the City of Cockburn, but alas that was last year - why didn't someone think of that 18 months ago?

Does adding the library to foursquare.com  count as the library participating in geocaching?

4 comments:

  1. I like you blog, the comments you blog on are very interest. You have a way with words, a nice way.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of hiding geocaches at significant local sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As suggested by Gerty, we could use geocaching when the new Success Library opens for business.

    ReplyDelete